Stay up to date with notifications from The?Independent

Notifications can be managed in browser preferences.

Liveupdated1720908028

Wimbledon 2024 LIVE: Tennis scores as Barbora Krejcikova beats Jasmine Paolini in thrilling women’s final

The 31st seed Krejcikova defeated Paolini over three thrilling sets on Centre Court to win Wimbledon for the first time

Kieran Jackson
at Wimbledon
,Jamie Braidwood
Saturday 13 July 2024 23:00
Comments
Paolini to face Krejcikova in Wimbledon final

Barbora Krejcikova is the Wimbledon champion after beating Jasmine Paolini in three sets to win her second grand slam title, 6-2 2-6 6-4.

The 28-year-old becomes the second Czech player in as many years to win the Venus Rosewater Dish after Marketa Vondrousova’s victory last year. Krejcikova, the?31st seed, was an unexpected finalist but produced a dominant display in the deciding set to add to her French Open title in 2021. Krejcikova had to save two break points in the final game, before serving out the match with her third Championship point.

“I don’t have the words,” an emotional Krejcikova said on Centre Court. “It’s unbelievable what just happened. It’s the best day of my tennis career and the best day of my life.” Krejcikova made an emotional tribute to her former mentor and 1998 Wimbledon champion Jana Novotna, and broke down in tears at the sight of her name alongside Novotna’s on the board of winners.

Later on, Henry Patten completed a remarkable Wimbledon run by becoming the first British winner of the 2024 Championships with men’s doubles success alongside Finnish partner Harri Heliovaara.

Tomorrow, Novak Djokovic will face Carlos Alcaraz in a sensational rematch of last year’s epic Wimbledon final. Alcaraz, 21, defeated Djokovic, 37, in a five-set thriller to win Wimbedon for the first time and looks the favourite to retain his title. But Djokovic is bidding to make history and win Wimbledon for an eighth time to tie Roger Federer’s men’s record, as well as a 25th grand slam.

Follow all the latest scores and results, plus relive all the action from a gripping Wimbledon women’s final below:

1720887388

Barbora Krejcikova emulates hero Jana Novotna with Wimbledon triumph after three-set thriller

For a player so composed, gliding through shots with such picturesque ease and guile, the emotions stayed in tact for Barbora Krejcikova as she claimed her first Wimbledon crown. On court, at least. The smile was difficult to wipe off her face as she received the Venus Rosewater Dish, amid the light of a rare day of south-west London sunshine. It was only when on-court interviewer Annabel Croft mentioned her mentor – the late, great Jana Novotna, champion of 1998 – that the sensations shifted.

The Czechs quite like it here in SW19. Twelve months on from Marketa Vondrousova’s unfancied upset victory against a higher-seeded opponent and a decade since Petra Kvitova’s second Wimbledon title, 31st seed Krejcikova upset the formbook again as she outlasted the spirited performance of Italian Jasmine Paolini in three momentum-shifting sets, 6-2, 2-6. 6-4.

Barbora Krejcikova emulates Novotna with Wimbledon triumph after three-set thriller

Krejcikova kept up the brilliant run of Czech women at the All England Club with a riveting victory over Jasmine Paolini – but the tears eventually came away from the Centre Court spotlight

Kieran Jackson on Centre Court13 July 2024 17:16
1720892432

Jasmine Paolini reflects on journey after defeat in Wimbledon final: ‘I’m scared to dream too much’

Jasmine Paolini was in a reflective mood after her narrow defeat to Barbora Krejcikova in the Wimbledon final on Saturday.

Paolini was the higher seed – seven to 31 – in the women’s singles final and was chasing a first Grand Slam, five weeks after missing out to Iga Swiatek in the French Open.

The Italian fought back valiantly in the second-set to force a decider but, ultimately, one break of serve in the third set in the Czech’s favour was enough for Krejcikova to claim the title.

“I have to accept today and work hard, but today it’s tough to speak,” she said in her post-match press conference.

Paolini reflects on journey after Wimbledon loss: ‘I’m scared to dream too much’

The Italian missed out on a first Grand Slam title after a three-set loss against Barbora Krejcikova

Kieran Jackson13 July 2024 18:40
1720908028

Novak Djokovic praises Carlos Alcaraz ahead of Wimbledon final rematch

“He is a great example as a young player that has a well balanced life on and off the court. He has great values in his family a lot of charisma.

“He is deservedly one of the greatest 21-year-olds we have seen in this sport. We will see a lot of him in the future no doubt.

“He is going to win many more Grand Slams, but hopefully in two days - not this one! In the future when I retire in about 15-years! I am joking...

“Jokes aside, he has already beaten me here in a thrilling five-setter - I don’t expect anything less than that.

“He is complete as a player as they come. It is going to take my best ability to beat him on Sunday.”

Jamie Braidwood13 July 2024 23:00
1720904428

Why is Novak Djokovic celebrating by playing the violin at Wimbledon?

Novak Djokovic was booed on Centre Court as he pretended to play the violin on his racket after booking his place in a 10th Wimbledon final

The 37-year-old was making his first appearance since turning on sections of the crowd and accusing them of “showing disrespect” following his win over Holger Rune.

Djokovic was in impressive form as he defeated Lorenzo Musetti in straight sets to set up a rematch of last year’s Wimbledon final against Carlos Alcaraz.

“During the match it’s business time, trying to outplay your opponent,” he said.

“I’m very happy to be in another final but I don’t want to stop here. Hopefully I’ll get my hands on that trophy.”

Why is Novak Djokovic celebrating by playing the violin at Wimbledon?

Djokovic is through to a 10th Wimbledon final but was booed after pretending to play the violin after his win over Lorenzo Musetti

Jamie Braidwood13 July 2024 22:00
1720902628

Barbora Krejcikova continues the recent trend of first-time Wimbledon champions

2024 - Krejcikova

2023 - Marketa Vondrousova

2022 - Elena Rybakina

2021 - Ash Barty

2020 - N/A

2019 - Simona Halep

2018 - Angelique Halep

2017 - Garbine Muguruza

(Getty Images)
Jamie Braidwood13 July 2024 21:30
1720900828

Alfie Hewett on course for Wimbledon double and receives boost as rival knocked out

Alfie Hewett could toast double Wimbledon success this weekend after he followed up his thrilling wheelchair singles semi-final win with victory alongside Gordon Reid in the last four of the men’s doubles.

Hewett claimed revenge over Gustavo Fernandez at the start of day 12 of the Championships, winning 4-6 6-4 7-5 against the third seed, who had knocked him out of the French Open last month.

Victory after two hour and 41 minutes on Court Three has kept Hewett on track to claim a first singles triumph at the All England Club after runner-up finishes in each of the last two years.

Second seed Hewett lost to Tokito Oda in the final 12 months ago, but will not take on the Japanese teenager after he was edged out by Spaniard Martin De La Puente in three sets.

Hewett progressed into a third consecutive wheelchair singles final at Wimbledon before reaching another doubles final with Gordon Reid

Jamie Braidwood13 July 2024 21:00
1720899028

Barbora Krejcikova on the influence of her former mentor Jana Novotna

“We started beginning of 2014 until she passed away. I’m not exactly sure what I wrote in the letter right now, but I wrote something that I’m playing tennis, that I’m 18, I just finished juniors, and that I don’t know what to do right now. So if she could, like, look at me and maybe help me, guide me, tell me which direction should I go.

“The only thing that was going through my head was that I miss Jana a lot. It was just very, very emotional. Very emotional moment to see me on a board right next to here.

“I think she would be proud. I think she would be really excited that I’m on a same board as she is because Wimbledon was super special for her.”

Krejcikova sheds a tear after spotting her mentor Novotna’s name on the Wimbledon honours board (BBC Sport)
Jamie Braidwood13 July 2024 20:30
1720898572

Henry Patten secures stunning Wimbledon doubles success with Harri Heliovaara

Patten and Heliovaara had only teamed up in April, but dumped out a succession of seeds on the way to a maiden grand slam final together.

Up against Australian pair Max Purcell and Jordan Thompson, Patten and Heliovaara saved three Championship points in the second set before they sealed a superb 6-7 (7) 7-6 (8) 7-6 (11/9) victory in front of a jubilant Centre Court crowd.

It made Colchester-born Patten only the third British player to win the men’s doubles Wimbledon title in the Open era after Neal Skupski and Jonathan Marray.

Henry Patten secures stunning Wimbledon doubles success with Harri Heliovaara

British hopeful Patten and doubles partner Heliovaara fought back to win a memorable final 6-7 (7) 7-6 (8) 7-6 (11/9)

Jamie Braidwood13 July 2024 20:22
1720897200

Novak Djokovic, Carlos Alcaraz and the twist to an epic Wimbledon final rematch

Although it is the rematch he has waited a year for, it was only until a few days ago that Novak Djokovic started to believe he could face Carlos Alcaraz in the Wimbledon final. When the 37-year-old underwent surgery on a torn medial meniscus in his right knee on 5 June, it was assumed that the seven-time champion would miss the tournament he places above all others. There were doubts, he admitted, but because it was Wimbledon, Djokovic did everything he could to make the start line. “I was not thinking about, particularly in the first couple of matches, of the eventual title match,” he said. And yet, here we go again.

Alcaraz is the only player to beat Djokovic in his last 51 matches on Centre Court, his epic five-set victory in last year’s final ending a run of four consecutive titles at Wimbledon. The 21-year-old Spaniard will be the favourite when he faces Djokovic in the rematch, in part due to the Serbian’s knee and any lingering questions over his fitness, but also because of how Alcaraz has inherited Djokovic’s powers of inevitability since capturing last year’s title. If you can beat Djokovic on Centre Court once, you can do it again, and Alcaraz is a stronger, more confident player than 12 months ago.

Novak Djokovic, Carlos Alcaraz and the twist to an epic Wimbledon final rematch

There will be an instant rematch of last year’s epic Wimbledon final as Djokovic the underdog takes on the defending champion Alcaraz on Centre Court

Jamie Braidwood13 July 2024 20:00
1720895428

Wimbledon 2024: Barbora Krejcikova on winning the Championships

“Winning here at the Wimbledon is huge for me.

“But I wouldn’t really say it was kind of like my dreams when I was very little. I have like a little notebook that I wrote when I was, like, 12. I don’t know, maybe like three, four months ago I was listing through that notebook.

“I had there that in the future, like back then when I was 12, I wrote that in the future I would like to win the French Open. So it was quite a big dream for me to win the French Open.

“To be honest, maybe things shifted a little bit when I actually met Jana [Novotna] and when she was telling me all the stories about Wimbledon, about the grass, how difficult it was for her to win the title and how emotional she was when she actually made it.

“I think since then I started to see the Wimbledon like the biggest tournament in the world.”

(REUTERS)
Jamie Braidwood13 July 2024 19:30

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in